The Carnegie Library which preceded the Seychelles National Library was opened in 1910. It was built from a grant provided by the Carnegie Trust Fund and was managed by a Board of Trustees. The board was dissolved in 1970 when the Department of Education took over the Carnegie Library and re-named it the Carnegie Public Library.

The British Council provided the library with a grant for new shelves, appointed a librarian from England and added more volumes to the stock.

In 1978 the Carnegie Public Library was declared the National Library of Seychelles. The following year the National Library was transferred to a newly renovated building on State House Avenue. 


Click here to download the Seychelles National Library act.